Dark Sun: Spirit Champions
Rule Zero: The Dungeon Master can suspend or override the published game rules whenever he deems necessary. Rule zero may be invoked unilaterally and does not have to be agreed upon by the players
- There will be no individual experience point awards.
- Gaining levels will occur for the entire group at the DM’s discretion.
- Players will use any Standard Array from the PHB.
- Characters inherit fixed enhancement bonuses to Attack/Damage and Defense based on level from the FIXED ENHANCEMENT BONUSES chart in the DSCS page 209. Characters with magic items will use whichever bonus is higher, they do not stack.
Races and Classes:
- All published races are permitted with DM Approval. Some races may require modification in order to better fit within the game world (ex. Water Genasi).
- Races considered rare or forgotten (ex. Shardmind, Genasi) can expect to have more social challenges and potentially dangerous encounters to overcome.
- Races and classes from the Essentials lines of products are approved for use.
- Templar as a theme or class or profession is prohibited at the campaign start.
- All characters will begin with a psionic wild talent.
- DSCS page 122, Reckless Breakage and Fumbling Breakage. Nonmetal weapons will automatically break via the Fumbling Breakage rule the second time a natural 1 is rolled. Enchanted nonmetal weapons will break on the third time a natural 1 is rolled. Players will track this for each weapon they roll a natural 1 on.
- Weakened weapons can be repaired (the count reset) only by a psionic craftsman of the appropriate type. Only enchanted items would be worth the cost for repair.
- Nonmetal armor loses 1 AC on any critical hit until it is repaired. Above rules apply. Cloth or unarmored individuals must “recofus” or suffer the loss of 1 AC as well. As below.
- Rolling a natural 1 when fighting unarmed results in the inability to use any Encounter or Daily powers until the character spends 1 round “refocusing”.
- Legacy Items are immune to breakage rules. A 1 results in a fumble and loss of a turn.
Armor and Overheating:
- DSCS page 119. Characters wearing heavy metal armor take a -5 penalty to Endurance checks resulting from heat or suffering heat or any other heat related effects.
Favors and Rewards:
- A favor is assigned a gold piece value like any magic item and a character can spend that favor by calling upon the individual or faction for resources. More information can be found in the DSCS pages 210-211. Favors can be used as treasure/rewards.
- Rewards of magic items are not always appropriate and may be given as titles, properties, slaves, etc. Specifics should be worked out with the DM.
- Players will also be given the rewards of Story Points to use for their characters.
- Falling Prone: Any creature that is damaged in a singular attack (the use of one power or strike) for their “bloodied” value (equal to half their hit points) is immediately knocked prone.
- Pushback/shift & not enough room: Any creature that is pushed or shifted in a direction that there doesn’t have enough squares to accommodate the movement will instead take falling damage (1d6) per square they is not able to be accommodated.
- Critical on a Save Roll: A roll of a natural 20 on any saving throw also grants the character a move action before their turn is over.
- Critical Kill: If a player rolls a natural 20 with a Daily power, they can roll again and if they get another natural 20, they roll a third time and if they score a hit, it results in an instant kill of any non BBEG monster. The player must describe the fatality to make it happen.
- Plot Coupon: Every time a player spends two rounds in a row attempting to attack but without scoring any successful attacks, give them a guaranteed, free non-critical success on the first attack roll they do for the next At-Will or Encounter power they try to use, without needing to roll.
- Critical Damage: In addition to doing maximum damage on a criticial roll, magic item modifier damage is also maximized instead of rolled for.
- Religion or Arcana can be interchanged with Psionics as a skill as long as the character is a psionic focused class.